Wednesday, November 7, 2007

The day after the election

Well, here I am sitting in the, well, used to be small town of Tiffin, wondering what will happen now.

We have a new mayor. Potter lost after 20 some years of serving as mayor of Tiffin. The sad part is that the voter turn out was piss poor. From what I got from the Press Citizen, only around 400 of our 2500 more or less populous voted. That is really sad. A majority of a minority is telling the majority how to run the government. Gee, that sounds like elections for every level of government, doesn't it? My motto is: I voted, so I have the right to complain.

The city of Tiffin also passed a 7% hotel motel tax to begin July 1 2008. WTF!!!!!! We have no hotels. We have no Motels. Hell, we don't even have a simple sit down or fast food restaurant. Well, we used to have a restaurant, but it burned down 8 years ago and the city didn't fight tooth and nail to keep the landmark Lark Supper Club in our town.

I also saw that the 21 only measure was defeated in Iowa City. There is something that can be done to solve this problem that nobody seems to want to address, except maybe State 29. Change the drinking age back down to 18 or 19. They are considered old enough to serve in the military, to go into debt, have a normal drivers license, vote in an election, why can't they have a drink? If you make it not such a 'bad boy/girl" thing to do, they might not do it as much.

Well, that's all I can think of to say about the elections. If I hear more, I might comment again, who know.

No comments: